March 28, 2011

Birthday Diet Disaster

Itty bitty and I were invited to his best friend's 3rd birthday party yesterday. I had the best of intentions to follow the diet making sure to eat veggies and fruits and a MUFA while there. I had no idea what the menu would be so I was only hoping these items would be available to choose from. What I didn't know was that I was going to be served the food. I never touched a serving spoon. My plate was brought to me. How can you say no to grilled fajita beef and chicken, rice, guacamole, corn tortillas, and charro beans? What I could have said no to was another helping. But I couldn't help myself. It's not everyday I get to celebrate a birthday and eat like this. After looking at the plate I did follow the rule of having a MUFA. The avocado in the guacamole. I ate before the four hour mark and later that night I did have a slice of the tres leche cake. I've never had it before and I am glad I didn't miss out on that opportunity.

The Flat Belly Diet does have a section about what to do for the occasional slip up and how to get yourself back on track. You definitely want to skip the guilt. I wasn't the least bit guilty. I enjoyed the hell out of my time at the birthday party with great friends and watching itty bitty and the other toddlers jumping to their heart's content in the bounce house. It also states to compensate by adding in some exercise. I got in my "exercise" alright! I chased itty bitty around and made sure that our playdate afterward was extended an hour or two. Parenting is a workout. Do you know how many times a day I pick up 30 pounds?

In the Flat Belly Diet Cookbook it states that even when you overindulge they do NOT want you skipping meals because of it. The Flat Belly Diet is not about deprivation. Instead pick and dust yourself off and get right back on the wagon.

I knew that I made a conscious decision to throw the diet out the window once I saw the other partygoers with their plates of food and I knowingly ate until I was uncomfortably stuffed.

In a way, my inner fat kid will always be a part of who I am. I was born a foodie. I live to eat. Not the other way around.

I feel that the Flat Belly Diet has taught me a lot in just this past week. I can still eat delicious and nutritious meals that help fuel my body and keep me going for hours until the next fill up even with an occasional indulgence. Eating every 4 hours, 400 calories each meal, and adding a healthy fat has given me a few noticeable changes. Nothing to do with my weight or waist measurement. My energy level has improved, my skin feels softer, my hair is shinier, and the biggest change... my confidence level is throw the roof.

The confidence comes from feeling like I'm actually accomplishing something. Making a commitment to my mom to do this with her and to help spread the word to others has me standing a little bit straighter than normal. I feel proud.

Whether you are on a diet or not be proud to be living your life the way you want to and let that confidence shine through.

6 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I'm glad you're not beating yourself up over a little lapse...I would have sampled the cake, too :)

Chelle B said...

Lizzy - It wasn't even a sample! Haha! I had a slice and shamelessly ate it in about four bites.

Anonymous said...

I love how "real" you keep your blogspot. In humor, in reality. Always a pleasure to read your creative writings! Great having you as my FBB Flat Belly Buddy. Love Mom

Chelle B said...

Mama - You know me better than anyone... I'm an open book! Very sarcastic as well.

Angela Donovan said...

you can allow yourself to indulge once in a while. :)

btw, i used to call my now-almost-9-year-old itty bitty! nice to know someone else calls their little one itty bitty.

Angela Donovan said...

here's my blog about my family/itty bitty

http://thedonovansfamilyblog.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...