March 26, 2011

Chocolate-Drizzled Popcorn

My mom provided some of the best childhood memories. Fridays in particular were my favorite days. We would be woke up with our feet being tickled and a laugh to start the day. Mom would send us on our way to school after preparing a warm breakfast and a sack lunch in hand. Mom didn't just send us to school with the run of the mill sack lunch. My sack lunch was true bartering material. Gourmet sandwiches... my mom once sent me to school with a spruced up tuna sandwich on pumpernickel bread... a foodie in the making was born. Sliced fruits, veggies, and then the giant chocolate chip cookies. No sack lunch would be complete without a note from mom as well. It made my day... everyday!

After stepping foot off of the school bus my brother and I would be in a foot race to see who would be first through the door to see what after school snack mom had whipped up for us. Most days the house would smell of roast chicken and vegetables in the oven for our dinner. At that point I could care less about the snack and would instead count down the hours until we were pulling juicy pieces of chicken apart and dunking it into those pan drippings.

The best part of our Friday nights was what followed an hour or so after dinner. Mom would have us hang out in our rooms and get our homework done so that way we could have the entire weekend dedicated to fun. While we were at it mom would be setting up the "party". A large blanket would be spread on the floor, TGIF (remember when ABC network use to have their Friday lineup?), and snacks galore. One of my favorite snacks was the popcorn! Mom would make Jell-O popcorn balls or buttered popcorn. Then we would spend the night watching Full House, Home Improvement, Family Matters, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Boy Meets World, and Hangin' with Mr. Cooper.

Looking forward to our Friday nights made the school weeks go by so much quicker with things to look forward to during the week. Just wait until I tell you more about Wednesday night family workouts and Survivor Thursdays where mom set up immunity challenges for us as a family. Unfortunately we weren't allowed to cast any members off our "island" though.

Itty bitty is only 2 1/2 but I'm already looking forward to carrying on these "traditions" my mom etched in my memory. It's Friday and I made Chocolate -Drizzled Popcorn to celebrate! Best of all it's in the Flat Belly Diet. A sweet ending to the week and beginning of the weekend!

Makes 4 Servings

Stars of the Show:
  • 12 cups air popped popcorn - Easy to do with just a brown paper bag and the kernels!
  • 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted, cashews
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
And Action:

Spread the popcorn and cashews on a large baking sheet.

Melt the chocolate in a small bowl over a saucepan of boiling water. Stir often until the chocolate is melted. While the chocolate is still hot use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn in a back and forth motion. Let cool at room temperature for about 20 minutes or until chocolate sets.

Make sure you have a paper towel nearby. Oh hell. Who am I kidding? Lick those babies clean!

Nutritional Information Per Serving:
MUFA: Cashews
Calories: 392
Protein: 7 g
Carbohydrates:  51 g
Fat: 22 g
Saturated Fat: 9 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 9 mg
Fiber: 6 g

Linked this recipe to:
SweetasSugarCookies

7 days down, 25 to go!!!

9 comments:

Brandie said...

Awww. What a great Mom!! She sounds like a fantastic woman :o)
This popcorn sounds so yummy. I know any kid (or adult) would love to nosh on this while watching television..lol.

Chelle B said...

Brandie - It's amazing to be on a diet that lets me indulge in popcorn covered in chocolate. The cashews were lil gems of deliciousness!

Food Frenzy said...

At first glance I thought you used puff corn instead of popcorn, but then noticed the cashews. Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Debbie B. said...

Sounds delicious!!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

What lovely childhood memories :) And such a wonderful snack...I adore popcorn and this ramped up version sounds incredible!

Ang said...

I'm such a dork:/ Sorry about that Rochelle. It's all coming back to me now:) I got it all changed up on my site to the real you:)

As far as your post today, I related most to your childhood memories. It's a special thing when we have some good memories from our past. The popcorn however looks so good. My two favorite things~ Chocolate and salty popcorn:) Have a great day, and sorry again for the name mishap:(

Chelle B said...

Food Frenzy and Debbie B - Thank you!

Lizzy - It was so nutty and the chocolate was the kicker. Chocolate makes everything better. The best part was how messy it was to eat. Fun for itty bitty too!

Ang - No problem. I can see how you would have thought it was Jessica since my real name is no longer showing on the blog at the moment. Monday it should be fixed. This popcorn isn't salty since it was air popped with no added seasoning. I can only imagine how much better it would have been with salty popcorn. I will have to try that after the diet is over!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I used to watch TGIF with my daughter when she was younger! I had forgotten about TGIF. :o) I loved it as much as she did, lol. I'm not a huge fan of popcorn (I know, I'm weird), but I eat it with chocolate!!

Chelle B said...

Brenda - Happy someone knows what the hell I'm talkin' about! TGIF was the most looked forward to event of the week. I miss those kind of family shows! Chocolate and popcorn use to only be ate together at the movie theather for me and now I have this recipe! Yummy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...