I did have a hang up. Bad produce. Rather than making Asparagus Prosciutto Mushroom Saute I ended up with no mushrooms or shallots. While I think this pasta dish would have been even better with both of those ingredients I don't think the flavor suffered any. Next time however I would like to try it with the mushrooms and shallots. This is a repeat worthy meal.
Recently I was gifted with a boxed set of oil and vinegar from Sotto Voce. A Spicy Garlic Olive Oil and Garlic and Pepper Balsamic Vinegar. Because this recipe called for both olive oil and garlic I figured I couldn't go wrong with trying out my new olive oil. I was right. You can get your hands on this olive oil by going to the website and ordering some or visiting Seattle's Pike Street Market. It added a little heat to the dish for a nice kick.
Prosciutto and asparagus was sauteed in the olive oil, butter, and garlic and then tossed with pasta, fresh basil, and Parmesan cheese. The salty prosciutto added great flavor and paired well with the asparagus and gave a nice crunch to the pasta.
Per Chelsy make sure you enjoy this with a glass or two of wine. You won't be disappointed with this recipe. Please head over to Mangia and tell her hello and check out all of the yummies from her kitchen.
Makes 4 Servings
Stars of the Show:
- 1 tbsp olive oil - I used Sotto Voce's Spicy Garlic Olive Oil.
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, finely diced - My shallot was no good. Pouty lip.
- 2 pieces of prosciutto - I used dry aged prosciutto that was already cubed. About 1/4 cup worth.
- 1/2 to 1 cup sliced mushrooms - My mushrooms were mushy. Pouty lip. Again.
- 1 bundle of asparagus spears
- 1/4 cup Bottega Petalo Moscato Sparkling Wine - Any good sweet wine will work. However, Chelsy highly recommends this both for the recipe and for drinking. I used sauvignon blanc. I know, not a sweet wine but it's what I had on hand.
- 1 tbsp fresh basil for garnish
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- 1/2 lb pasta of choice
Boil pasta according to package directions.
Heat saute pan over medium high heat.
Add the olive oil, butter, and garlic and heat for 30 seconds or just until the butter begins to bubble and garlic begins to cook.
Add shallot and continue to cook for 30 seconds.
Add the prosciutto and cook for 30 seconds.
Add the mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have cooked all the way through and mushrooms become a dark shade of brown, about 3-4 minutes.
Add asparagus and mix all ingredients well. Cover with a lid and let cook for 3-4 minutes or until the asparagus is cooked to your liking.
Add wine and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Add the drained pasta and toss. Garnish with the basil and grated Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately and enjoy!
For a chance to win 2 boxes of cookies from Enjoy Life head over to Healthful Pursuit and enter the giveaway.