September 19, 2011

Secret Recipe Club - Sopapillas


This month's Secret Recipe Club blog assignment was, Miz Helen's Country Cottage. This blog was new to me and I am glad that I was assigned to this one. Southern cuisine has become an interest of mine since I moved here to Texas 4 years ago.

Helen has been cooking out of the cookbook, The Homesick Texan. I have drooled over her Dallas Gas Station Pork Tacos, Austin Style Black Beans, and the Sopapillas.

The decision for what I wanted to make wasn't a hard one for me. After having dinner with a close friend one night out at a favorite Mexican restaurant and being too stuffed for dessert I went home without having any. Sopapillas are a classic Mexican dessert and one that tempts me every time I go out to eat.

I thought about Sopapillas and when Helen had posted her recipe I knew that the decision had been made for me.

Working with yeast is no longer a fear for me. I don't fear frying anymore either. What could possibly go wrong?

First of all, I ran out of flour, took a suggestion to let the dough rise in a way that was never done before (on the stove after the oven had been on at a very high heat) which caused my dough to cook on the bottom, cutting the dough into triangles, and then not using enough oil to allow them to puff.

How did this project turn out?

Amazing!!! The mix of all-purpose / whole wheat flour was a good balance making me believe I was making a healthier treat. Haha! The dough that had been cooked was easily separated from the soft stuff and discarded. Come to find out triangles and squares taste the same. Haha! Although they didn't puff like a Sopapillas should the texture was like a doughnut instead. Sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and drizzles with honey they were a fantastic dessert.

Itty Bitty and I enjoyed this recipe and will be making this again. Yummy!

Secret Recipe Club'

If you want to get in on the fun with this group head over to the Secret Recipe Club website and join.

Makes about 24

Stars of the Show:
  • 1 packet of yeast
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading - I used 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour.
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
  • vegetable oil , for frying
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (for the topping)
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon (for the topping)
  • honey to taste
And Action:

Mix the yeast with the warm water and let it sit for 5 minutes, Meanwhile, combine the flour, sugar, and salt, Add the melted butter to the yeast and then slowly stir the liquid into the flour mixture. Mix until well combined. Knead the dough for 3 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Cover and let rise in a greased bowl for 1 hour, or until dough is doubled in size.

After dough has risen, punch it down on a floured surface; then roll it out into a 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut out 3 inch squares and then cut squares on the diagonal into triangles.

Heat 3 inches of oil in a large pot or Dutch oven to 350 degrees. Fry two triangles of dough at a time in the oil for1 minute on each side. The dough should puff when it hits the oil. Drain the sopapillas on a paper towel, then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Serve hot with honey.

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

I follow Miz Helens cooking and always learn a lot from her;)) Good choice here;)

Miz Helen said...

Hi Beth,
I am delighted that you made the Sopapilla's, looks like they turned out really well for you. They are a great treat and I am happy you enjoyed them. Thanks for doing such a great job on the recipe and thanks for sharing. Hope you have a wonderful week!
Come Back Soon,
Miz Helen

Chelle B said...

Dzoli - I am going to become her newest FOLLOWER. It was a pleasure reading her blog. Thank you.

Mary said...

I adore sopapillas as well. I haven't had them in a while and I haven't actually made them in at least 10 years. Pure heaven in my opinion. I don't dare make them at home though. I would eat them ALL!

Chelle B said...

Helen - Yours look much better. We did enjoy them the way they turned out though. Very delicious treat. Thank you.

Chelle B said...

Mary - They were very tempting.

Kristen said...

I haven't made sopapillas for about 5 years. You have inspired me to make some again!!

Chelle B said...

Kristen - I think you would really enjoy this recipe.

Erin said...

Oh wow! These look wonderful! Fried AND with cinnamon and sugar??? I'm so in!!!

Arlene Delloro said...

I just got that cookbook on Saturday after reading recipes from it all over the blogosphere. YOurs look amazing.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Miz Helen has a fabulous blog!! And what a great choice for the SRC...they look delish! I've never made sopapillas, but your photos have convinced me to put this on my list to try~

Chelle B said...

Erin - Can't go wrong with deep fried anything.

Arlene - I need to get a copy of the cookbook as well now.

Lizzy - I really enjoyed being assigned to Helen's blog and am now FOLLOWING it. If you get around to making these I'd love to hear about it.

Lisa~~ said...

I saw when Miz Helen posted these and they looked wonderful, I would have picked them too so great SRC choice.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC recipe this month: Welsh Cakes.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Chelle B said...

Lisa - Thank you! I will get to your SRC pick when I get some time. I have a lot on my plate at the moment.

Unknown said...

That looks like an excellent dessert. It looks sticky-sugary good from here.

Desi said...

I've seen these cinnamon goodies around the blogosphere myself and am itching to try some! I bet it's so good, maybe dipped in some icing too :) YUM!

Check out my SRC post if you like!

http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/09/septembers-secret-recipe-club-reveal.html

Chelle B said...

Dan - And it was!

Desi - I've seen them topped with ice cream, whipped cream, and a cherry on top as well. Drizzled with chocolate sauce. They are versatile. I like your icing suggestion. I'll check out your SRC pick when I get a moment to really sit down and relax.

Amy said...

Yum! Looks great -- I'm loving SRC, so many great new recipes to try!

Chelle B said...

Amy - Thank you!

Andi said...

It's been years since I made them. Beautiful little pillow of goodness, serve with cinnamon/sugar or honey yummy these are so cute.......andi

Chelle B said...

AndiWinslow - They are so easy to make and didn't take much time.

Trisha said...

These look really good. I wouldn't mind some with a good cuppa Joe!

Chelle B said...

Trisha - I'm having coffee right now and would love to have one as well. Yum!

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

How fun to make something so different! Way to go!

And thank you for being a part of the SRC with me (group b). I am excited and looking forward to next month too!

Here is what I posted this month: Pioneer Woman's Chicken Pot Pie
http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/09/pioneer-womans-chicken-pot-pie-secret.html

Lynne Daley said...

Sopapillas are my very favorite Southwestern bread-they can be sweet or savory. Yours look delicious!

Chelle B said...

Tina - Thank you for being a great host and for all of your help.

Lynne - I have never had a savory Sopapillas. Something I need to look into trying.

Vivian Thiele said...

I've tried making an easier version to sopapillas and it was delicious. Would love to give this recipe a try.

Chelle B said...

Vivian - I'd love to hear about an easier version of Sopapillas. Do tell.

Angie - Big Bears Wife said...

This is the first time I've heard of Sopapillas. I need to try these!

Chelle B said...

BigBearswife - They are so delicious. If you like cinnamon sugar donuts you would like these.

marla said...

I have never had Sopapillas but now I am convinced I must! Fun being in the Secret Recipe Club with you. I baked up tarts this month for Group C http://su.pr/2rtACr

Jenny @ Savour the Senses said...

I've never even made sopapillas and I love Mexican food! I feel like this is a crime, I need to get on it!

Marlene Detierro said...

This looks amazing and I love how simple it is. I still have never made it at home and this will be the recipe I use!

Marlene
Info site for Bear Viewing vacations

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...