December 01, 2010

Parmesan Parsley Biscuit Flatbreads

This one had me laughing to myself and shaking my head. Wanting to continue on with my vow to try and eat up the contents of our food items on hand before heading back to the grocery store before our vacation I decided to give this recipe a try.

Flatbreads make me giddy. They make the perfect vehicle for pizza toppings and sandwiches and such. Much to my disappointment these did not turn out to be flatbreads but instead biscuits that were smooshed down with a flavorless Parmesan cheese-parsley topping. What made these refrigerated biscuits amazing was the fact that the original recipe called for the biscuit to be dipped in olive oil on both sides. When the biscuits came out of the oven the bottoms were beautifully browned and crisp. That was the addicting part. It was like biting into Pizza Hut's pan pizza crust.


Okay so the results were nothing like I expected. No flatbread. What lesson I did learn was this: anytime refrigerated biscuits are made they will take a quick dip into an olive oil bath before baking for that crisp bottomed effect. Lip smacking deliciousness. Probably explains why I ended up eating four of them. Slapping hand and jumping on the treadmill now to burn off the calories I just inhaled.

Thoughts on a redo would include a dip in olive oil on both sides, the tops being sprinkled with more Parmesan cheese than the original recipe calls for and adding garlic as well. I could see these being served in a pinch to go along with a pasta dish.

MyRecipes.com and Southern Living, March 2008
Makes 8 servings
Stars of the Show:
  • 1 (16.3 oz) can refrigerated jumbo biscuits - I used Pillsbury Grands Butter Tastin' Jumbo Biscuits.
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 1/2 tsp fresh parsley - I used dried parsley.
  • pinch of salt and black pepper
And Action:

Preheat oven to 400°. Dip both sides of the biscuit rounds in the olive oil and arrange on a baking sheet. *I would skip the following step if I was to make these again.* Using fingertips, press each round into a 4-inch free form flat round. Sprinkle each biscuit top with the Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.

On to more exciting news!... I got my first shout out on another food bloggers page! After suggesting that she turn her guilty pleasures into healthier versions to enjoy whenever she wants she took my idea and did so. You can click HERE to check it out and give Alexandria kudos for a healthier swap!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post makes me so hungry! These look so goooood!

Chelle B said...

Jenn - Because they were the flaky layers biscuits I could have been content pulling the bottom layer off and not leaving any for anyone else, haha! That was the best part!

Kimberly Peterson said...

I never knew dipping them quickly in olive oil before baking would make such a huge difference .. sounds absolutely tasty!! YUM thanks for the tip, and yes that reminds me I need to jump on that treadmill too after all the cookies I just had :p

Chelle B said...

Kimberly - You have to try it! As for the treadmill I'm aiming for at least 15 minutes of sweat time a day. Winter is here and vacation is almost upon us and I think that is the least I can do. A little bit of damage control is better than none!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...