|It was a Mickey Mouse Christmas Celebration!|
I made Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin (recipe tomorrow), Squash and Parsnip Gratin, and just heated up some Pillsbury Grands Biscuits since I ran out of sugar from making Peppermint Stick Cocoa on Saturday night. He was lucky that can of biscuits hadn't been used for breakfast biscuits or else the one item he had requested for dinner wouldn't have made it to the table.
Parsnips and I are in a love/hate relationship. Acorn squash being beautifully vibrant and orange stood out next to the white chunks of the parsnips making them easy to segregate. I wasn't into the parsnips tonight. I was into them the other night when I made Roasted Potatoes, Parsnips, and Carrots with Horseradish Sauce. Their licorice-y taste was turning me off tonight. The acorn squash on the other hand was fantastic and thankfully there was more of it than parsnips.
MyRecipes.com and Cooking Light, November 1995
Makes 6 servings (Serving size = 1 cup)
Stars of the Show: (Standout performance from the acorn squash!)
- 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley - I used dried parsley.
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups peeled, cubed, acorn squash (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups peeled, cubed, butternut squash (about 1/2 pound) - When writing down the ingredients I left this out and didn't realize it. The side notes on the original recipe state that any combination of winter squash may be used to make up the 6 cups of squash.
- 2 cups peeled parsnips - I will be leaving these out next time.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- oregano sprigs for garnish
Combine the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl and stir to mix. Add squashes and parsnips, and oil, tossing to coat. Spoon mixture in a 2-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 1/2 hours. Sprinkle with cheese and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes. Garnish with oregano if desired.
Calories: 178 (24% from fat)
Fat: 4.8g (sat 1.5g,mono 2.4g,poly 0.4g)