February 20, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

So long packets of apple cinnamon oatmeal. This recipe for Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal is part of the 21 Day Vegan Kickstart . I'm not following this diet but have it bookmarked because I read that with trying to lose the last 10 pounds my body is holding onto I need to switch up my eating and try a more vegetarian approach. Mr. Sideline Chef only eats Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal and remembering that this recipe was on that diet meal plan I decided to give it a try. It was a nice change to plain oatmeal for breakfast. Nice to know that this bowl of oatmeal was creamy and delicious and will be satisfying when I do commit to the eating plan.

Makes 2 Servings (Serving size = 1 cup)

Stars of the Show:
  • 1 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
  • 2/3 cup apple juice concentrate - I used Mott's for Tots Apple Juice with 40% Less Sugar.
  • 1 1/3 cups water
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup raisins or currants (optional) - Raisins are a cringe worthy food to me. I left them out.
And Action:

Combine oats, apple juice concentrate, water, and cinnamon in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the raisins, if desired. Let stand 3 minutes before serving.

Nutritional Information: Per 1 cup serving
Calories: 312
Fat: 2.9 g
Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
Calories from Fat: 8.4%
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 7 g
Carbohydrates: 66 g
Sugar: 32.9 g
Fiber: 4.7 g
Sodium: 29 mg
Calcium: 51 mg
Iron: 2.8 mg
Vitamin C: 2.1 mg
Beta Carotene: 0 mcg
Vitamin E: 0.3 mg


2 comments:

Evan @swEEts said...

Apple Cinnamon is one of the only oatmeals I eat as well! And now I don't have to buy the packets :) Thanks!!

Chelle B said...

Evan - I thought this was so much better than store bought oatmeal packets. I can't wait to add fresh apples to it next time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...