February 09, 2011

Cheddar Bay Biscuits

We all know those infamous Cheddar Bay Biscuits from Red Lobster. You know those ones that the dietitians tell us to run away from and while we're at it to reduce our sodium intake and do another 50 crunches. Those ones. While Mr. Sideline Chef would tell you these are the main reason he goes to Red Lobster I sing a different tune and look forward to their Caesar Salad without croutons and drool over the menu options before settling on something that isn't probably the healthiest choice.

Just last month Mr. Sideline Chef requested I make rolls for dinner. I made those Honey Yeast Rolls that I thought were incredibly delicious but missed the mark for him. He was referring to something similar to what Red Lobster made. Rolls, biscuits, oh hell, in his mind what's the difference.

I searched the Internet and decided to make the recipe I found first since it sounded simple and I already had all of the ingredients on hand. Simple this recipe is. Flavorful as well. How do these compare to Red Lobster's? Close. The difference is that these are a cheese biscuit with the garlic butter topping. Their biscuits seem to have the cheesy garlic taste baked in and brushed on top as well. When I make these next time I will be sure to mix the topping ingredients into the biscuit mix and then top with extra garlic butter goodness. Then they would be perfect.

Now I know when Mr. Sideline Chef requests rolls for dinner I'll have a go-to recipe. Now if only I could recreate their Caesar Salad and any one of their seafood dishes. Crave worthy!

Allrecipes.com
Makes 20 Servings

Stars of the Show:
  • 4 cups baking mix - I used Bisquick Heart Smart.
  • 3 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 1/3 cups water
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp onion powder
  • 1/8 tsp dried parsley
And Action:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl combine the baking mix, cheese, and water. Mix until a firm dough forms. Scoop dough onto the baking sheet using two spoons. Be sure to leave space between each dough scoop. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Combine the melted butter, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, and dried parsley in a small bowl. Brush over the rolls immediately out of the oven.

Don't forget about the Culinary Smackdown Battle! There are 3 great entries so far and would love to see more of what my fellow foodies have or will come up with! Looking forward to tasting and judging and announcing the winner on February 28th, 2011.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Love these biscuits! Can't wait to try them at home!!!

Chelle B said...

Kathleen - The recipe couldn't be any easier to make! If you give them a try you'll have to let me know how you like them!

Tanvi said...

I love biscuits so much and so does my husband.Recently I made biscuits with cream cheese and nw I m gonna try your recipe.Thanks for sharing.Love recipes on your blog.

Chelle B said...

Tanvi - Those cream cheese biscuits sound delicious. If you try the recipe let me know how you like them. I really think they would be even better with the topping ingredients mixed into the biscuit mix and then adding extra topping. Thank you for the compliment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...