May 03, 2011

Simple Muffins

Another recipe from, The Baby Food Bible, that I couldn't wait to try were the Simple Muffins. Itty bitty likes muffins but sometimes he is picky when it comes to fruit or toppings. A simple straight forward muffin sounded perfect for his preferences.

While muffins are generally a breakfast item in our household I felt that these would make for a perfect before nap time snack. Just like the Breakfast Biscuits, these muffins are made with tiny hands, tiny mouths, and tiny appetites in mind. That is what makes these so perfect for snack time.

The no frills approach worked. He loved the muffins. They have the right amount of sweetness to them and were incredibly fluffy. For as simple as they are, they are surprisingly tasty.

Next time I will use this recipe as the base and add in blueberries or chopped peeled peaches and see if he will change his tune toward a fruited muffin.

Simple Muffins
Makes 6 muffins

Stars of the Show:
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • ½ cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp canola oil or melted butter - I used canola oil.
And Action:

Preheat oven the to 375 degrees. Grease a muffin pan. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a medium sized bowl. Mix well. Form a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the milk, egg, and oil. Stir just until combined, Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full. Bake 15-20 minutes until the tops are golden brown.

9 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I bet now that itty bitty has found that muffins can be yummy, there will be less resistance to trying some fun add ins :) SO nice you found the perfect basic muffin~

Carolyn said...

Sounds perfect for picky eaters. My problem is, my baby generally doesn't like anything bready, so I don't think these would fly wit her. Glad they worked for your Itty Bitty!

Chelle B said...

Lizzy - I can't wait to try blueberry muffins next and then go from there.

Carolyn - Toddlers are a species of their own, haha! So many preferences at such early ages.

Lisa said...

What cute little muffins. I like minis the best too.

Chelle B said...

Lisa - Thank you! Minis are so cute.

Jeanette said...

What cute muffins, and a nice basic muffin recipe. Would you consider using any white whole wheat flour to sub. for some of the white flour? I wish I had started my kids on whole grains early on.

Chelle B said...

Jeanette - I would substitute the white whole wheat flour. My itty bitty actually prefers whole grains anyway. I am very lucky to have a child who prefers munching on all veggies rather than candy.

Kelsey said...

What a great base recipe to have around. You could spruce this up with any fruit, spices, or toppings. Thanks!

Chelle B said...

Kelsey - Very versatile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...