June 13, 2011

Secret Recipe Club - Chocolate Chip Cookies

I am a new member to the Secret Recipe Club.  I am beyond giddy to be a part of this group. You too can join. Just click Secret Recipe Club.  Not knowing exactly what to expect I was anxious when waiting for my first blog assignment.

When I had checked my email one morning I was thrilled when I had seen that Amanda from Amanda's Cookin' had sent me my first blog assignment to recreate a recipe from. I immediately went to the blog and it was love at first sight.

For my first month as a member of the Secret Recipe Club I don't think I could have received a better blog to choose a recipe from.

Once A Month Mom.  "Helps fill your freezer by creating monthly menus using seasonal recipes." That is a concept I can get behind.


Everyday I would go to my bookmarks and click on the link to see what's new. I had a hard time deciding what recipe to try. I decided on Chocolate Chip Cookies. I needed a recipe I could make for a "Thank You" and an "I'm thinking about you" to two of my neighbors. I have a neighbor who regularly brings us fresh lettuce and another who lost his wife 4 years ago and doesn't know his way around the kitchen and has a major sweet tooth. What better way to show I care than with a batch of fresh baked Chocolate Chip Cookies?

These Chocolate Chip Cookies were unlike any I had ever made before. In the ingredients list was a box of Jello Vanilla Pudding Mix. What?!? I couldn't wait to see how these would turn out. I'm not much of a cookie person but when they are fresh out of the oven I can't resist two or three.

Because I was preparing these with the intent on giving them to others and it being a new recipe I had cooking anxiety. My first batch I second guessed myself on if they were done and ended up burning the bottoms. The second batch I didn't leave in long enough and were still doughy on the inside. Finally I had it figured out by the third batch. 9 minutes. No more, no less.

Fresh out of the oven these Chocolate Chip Cookies had a slight crunch on the bottom and were soft on the inside. Itty Bitty and I each sampled a cookie and the rest went to the neighbors. What a surprise! Both of my neighbors' eyes lit up and they were well received even for it being around breakfast time. One exclaimed, "Perfect timing to go with my coffee."

Because you can freeze the dough balls, thaw, and then bake, this recipe makes for a perfect last minute dessert to take to a get together, for a bad day pick-me-up, or to share with loved ones.

Makes about 4 Dozen

Stars of the Show:
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 (3.4 oz.) box vanilla pudding mix
  • 2 1/4 cup flour
  • 1-2 cups chocolate chips, depending on your taste
And Action:

Cream together butter, shortening, sugars, eggs, and vanilla. Add flour, salt, baking soda, and pudding mix. Mix well, then stir in chocolate chips.

Place by teaspoonfuls on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

Cool a bit and enjoy with a glass of ice cold milk.

To Freeze: After baking, you can cool the cookies and then place in a freezer bag or container, then freeze. OR, if you enjoy a freshly baked cookie, place the dough or shaped balls in a freezer bag or container and freeze. Then when you are ready to bake, thaw the dough, shape into balls, and bake as above.





23 comments:

Lisa said...

So these are the chocolate chip cookies you were telling me about. They look fantastic. By the way, you were my "secret" assignment for this month.

Chelle B said...

Lisa - Yes! These are the cookies I was telling you about. They had more of a cakey texture. Very delicious too. I can't wait to check out your blog and see what you picked. I'll head your way here in a couple of minutes. Thank you Lisa!!!

Kristen said...

What a great recipe. I haven't tried chocolate chip cookies with pudding, either. Can't wait to give them a shot!

Unknown said...

The pudding must add a great flavour to it. Wow. They also look great.

ping said...

Hi! I checked out the secret recipe club too but I didn't think I had enough recipes or interesting enough recipes to join in the fun. Maybe a little later.... This is really interesting, using the pudding mix. I gotta try it out. Looks great!

Ang said...

Mmmm, chocolate chip cookies! My fav :)

Bizzy said...

Yummy. Chocolate chip cookies. I am always ready to bake CCC's.

Chelle B said...

Kristen - I would love to hear how you like them if you do get around to trying the recipe out.

Dan - Thank you! I believe the pudding added lots of extra vanilla flavoring, in a good way.

Ping - I think you should join especially if you meet the criteria. I love the recipes that come out of your kitchen.

Ang - Not being a big cookie fan I don't have a favorite but I sure did enjoy these.

Bizzy - I will be too now that I have a great cookie dough recipe that freezes well.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Those look great! I like cookies that are a little crispy on the outside but still soft inside :)

Cooking Rookie said...

Great looking cookies!

Sara said...

These cookies look really delicious! A great use for the box of pudding mix I have on my shelf! :)

Chelle B said...

Barb - They very good!

Cooking Rookie - Thank you!

Sara - If you make these I'd love to hear how you liked them.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Great tip about keeping frozen dough balls handy...I'm afraid, though, I might just learn to eat/love frozen dough /: Good to have another chocolate chip cookie recipe to try...wonderful selection!!!

Tricia@onceamonthmom.com said...

I'm so glad that you got OAMM as your assignment! And thank you so much for becoming a regular contributor to our carnivals as well. Great post.

Chelle B said...

Lizzy - I like cookie dough more than the baked cookie. Great idea as well. Haha!

Tricia - I couldn't have been happier to have been assigned to OAMM. What a wonderful blog!!!

Unknown said...

What a lovely gesture you made toward your neighbors! The vanilla pudding mix must've added to the incredible-ness of these cookies!

Chelle B said...

Foodiva - I am so blessed to have a great group of neighbors especially with living in an apartment complex. Never know who is moving in next.

Lisa~~ said...

Very interesting with the pudding in the mix, I'll have to give these a try especially as I know my daughter would love them.

Chelle B said...

Lisa - She will love these!

Jeanette said...

So glad you joined the Secret Recipe Club, what fun! Your cookies look like they came out terrific!

Chelle B said...

Jeanette - I am happy I joined as well. It's so much fun.

amanda @ fake ginger said...

I've always wondered about cookie recipes that include pudding! They look delicious!

Chelle B said...

Amanda - I can confirm they are delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...