September 28, 2011

Crazy Blonde Brownies

My favorite dessert is brownies. They are my Achilles Heel. A couple years ago I use to be able to eat an entire pan without shame or guilt. Lucky for my waistline and thighs I can stop after one and feel satisfied.


This recipe for these Crazy Blonde Brownies comes from the folks at King Arthur Flour. I have read numerous food blogs that have tried out recipes or products and all have received rave reviews. One review going as far as stating, "It's from King Arthur Flour so I already know it's going to be a winner." With reviews about their recipes like this I was convinced I had a winning recipe on my hands.

After giving these Crazy Blonde Brownies a try I am now a loyal supporter of all things King Arthur Flour. These brownies are rich, moist, chocolatey, and have an amazing bite from the toasty walnuts. A brownie worthy of sinking your teeth into. I can't wait for a brownie craving to hit again so I can make these again.
Makes about 2 dozen 2 inch squares

Stars of the Show:
  • 1/2 cup butter or vegetable shortening - I used butter.
  • 2 cups brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup King Arthur 100% Organic White Whole Wheat Flour
  • 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All- Purpose Flour - I used all White Whole Wheat Flour.
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
  • 1 cup butterscotch, cinnamon, caramel, macadamia, or chips of your choice - I used chocolate chips since it's what I had on hand.
  • 1 cup diced pecans or walnuts - I used walnuts.
And Action:

Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch pan and preheat your oven to 350°F. Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the brown sugar, and stir until the mixture is smooth.

Remove the pan from the heat, pour the butter-sugar mixture into a medium-sized bowl, and allow it to cool to lukewarm. Whisk in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the vanilla extract and salt.

Whisk the flours and baking powder together, then add the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture, stirring to combine. Finally, fold in the chips and nuts.

Spread the mixture evenly in the pan, and bake the brownies for 30 to 35 minutes, until they're light brown on the edges and top.


    17 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    When I look at picture of your brownies I don't balme you you love them so much.They do look delicious;)

    Fallon said...

    YUM I like that there is a lot going on with these brownies and they look so moist and decadent!

    Chelle B said...

    Dzoli - These blonde brownies were so good because of the large chunks of chocolate and toasty walnuts.

    Fallon - They were so delicious. I would like one right now.

    Jeanette said...

    I'm a huge fan of King Arthur Flour - these brownies look so decadent, no one guess there's some whole wheat flour in them.

    Chelle B said...

    Jeanette - You wouldn't even know these were made with whole wheat flour.

    Erin said...

    Hi there! You were the winner of my Family Fun Magazine giveaway! Congrats!!! Email me your address and I'll get that started for you! =o)

    Dreambox Remote said...

    This is by far the best of Blondie / blonde brownies recipe, and I tried many of them. I cook them on a regular basis without the need for nuts, just chocolate, chips, and usually double the recipe.

    Chelle B said...

    Erin - That is fantastic news! I am so excited that I won! Can't wait to receive my first magazine.

    Dreambox Remote - I am happy to hear that you like them as well. They are the best recipe I've tried so far.

    Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos said...

    These brownies look fabulous! We love brownies at our house and I'm sure these would be a hit too!

    Chelle B said...

    Becca - Thank you!

    Allison said...

    I love my KA cookie cook book. These blondies look so decadent. I would want to eat the whole pan but, I could see how one would do the trick. I am excited to try these.

    Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

    These look great and I love king arthurs flour! Nice job!

    Kalyan said...

    Just mouthwatering...looks so easy to prepare and delicious!

    Chelle B said...

    Allison - I will need to check out that cookbook.

    Claudia - I love their products so much. Happy I had the opportunity to try them out.

    Kalyan - Craving one now.

    Anonymous said...

    These look incredible! I'm another huge King Arthur fan. I have their cookie companion and am in love with it!

    Laurie {Simply Scratch} said...

    These sound dangerous! I like!

    Chelle B said...

    overtimecook.com - Another recommendation for the cookie companion. I definitely need to check it out now.

    Laurie - They were dangerous but luckily they were rich enough I was able to stop after one serving.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...