This recipe for these Crazy Blonde Brownies comes from the folks at King Arthur Flour. I have read numerous food blogs that have tried out recipes or products and all have received rave reviews. One review going as far as stating, "It's from King Arthur Flour so I already know it's going to be a winner." With reviews about their recipes like this I was convinced I had a winning recipe on my hands.
After giving these Crazy Blonde Brownies a try I am now a loyal supporter of all things King Arthur Flour. These brownies are rich, moist, chocolatey, and have an amazing bite from the toasty walnuts. A brownie worthy of sinking your teeth into. I can't wait for a brownie craving to hit again so I can make these again.
Makes about 2 dozen 2 inch squares
Stars of the Show:
- 1/2 cup butter or vegetable shortening - I used butter.
- 2 cups brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup King Arthur 100% Organic White Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All- Purpose Flour - I used all White Whole Wheat Flour.
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch, cinnamon, caramel, macadamia, or chips of your choice - I used chocolate chips since it's what I had on hand.
- 1 cup diced pecans or walnuts - I used walnuts.
Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch pan and preheat your oven to 350°F. Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the brown sugar, and stir until the mixture is smooth.
Remove the pan from the heat, pour the butter-sugar mixture into a medium-sized bowl, and allow it to cool to lukewarm. Whisk in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the vanilla extract and salt.
Whisk the flours and baking powder together, then add the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture, stirring to combine. Finally, fold in the chips and nuts.
Spread the mixture evenly in the pan, and bake the brownies for 30 to 35 minutes, until they're light brown on the edges and top.