This recipe is quick and simple. It makes for a perfect weeknight meal and even for a "Meatless Monday" like our family enjoyed with a side of fresh green beans.
The garlic and red pepper flakes get infused into the olive and then tossed into the pasta with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and parsley. This pasta packs a heat kick. If you are not a fan of spicy then I would recommend adjusting the red pepper flake amount to your liking.
MyRecipes.com and Cooking Light, April 2011
Makes 4 servings
Stars of the Show:
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided - I used half this amount and didn't drizzle the remaining amount over the pasta. I felt it would make it too oily.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes - This amount makes for quite a spicy kick. Adjust to your liking.
- enough water for boiling fettuccine
- 3 1/4 tsp salt, divided - I only used enough salt for salting the boiling water the noodles cooked in. I decided not to add any extra salt to the pasta since parmesan cheese has a salty bite.
- 8 oz uncooked fettuccine
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley - I used dried parsley since that was what I had on hand.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil and the garlic. Stir constantly for 30 seconds, stir in the red pepper flakes and then remove from heat.
Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain over a large bowl and reserve 1/2 cup of the liquid. Add the pasta, cooking liquid, and salt (optional) to the garlic mixture. Toss to combine well. Add the parmesan cheese and parsley. Drizzle the pasta with remaining olive oil if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:Calories: 397
Saturated fat: 4.6g
Monounsaturated fat: 11.3g
Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
Don't forget to enter the giveaway for an Organic Bikes Biodegradable Water Bottle!