January 24, 2011

Homemade Salsa

This post is nothing more than a big shout out to one of my favorite bloggers, Laurie, from Simply Scratch. I FOLLOW her blog religiously. I'm envious of her photography. I want to be at her level one day. It's no wonder why she has 215+ followers. Her food and her stories put you right in the kitchen with her.

One morning I had read her recipe for Homemade Salsa, drooled all over my keyboard, and pushed the memory of her images to the back of my brain. Mr. Sideline Chef and I had gone to the grocery store later that morning to purchase some yummies for our Pittsburgh Steelers game day. Mr. Sideline Chef while walking through the produce section had requested I make salsa. Thankfully, Laurie had posted her Homemade Salsa and I was able to somewhat replicate her recipe. I didn't add the sugar or the diced tomatoes with green chiles since I didn't recall those items. Mr. Sideline Chef loves his salsa spicy. The batch I made had all of the ribs and seeds of the jalapeno included. Hot is actually an understatement. It was a burning inferno. Nonetheless it was still delicious. Those photos of her salsa still had me reeling with excitement to try it out another weekend.

Here we were again. Sunday morning. It was game day again in our home and as usual we headed to the grocery store. This time I was prepared. I checked back on Laurie's post for her Homemade Salsa and added the items to the grocery list.

Once at home I set out to make her version. Okay. So the food processor does all the work really. After the onions, jalapeno, and garlic got a few good pulses I added the can of whole peeled tomatoes, cilantro, sugar, salt, and lime. Then I added the secret ingredient. This my friends is what Mr. Sideline Chef and I agree makes this salsa and puts the finishing touch on it... the can of diced tomatoes with green chiles. This time I didn't want it as spicy as the first batch I had made from memory so I only used half a jalapeno with it's ribs and seeds and the extra spice from the green chiles made for just the right kick. Well, if you ask the native Texan we had in our home last night he would tell you it wasn't hot enough. That's the beauty of this and any other salsa, you can really make it your own.

We couldn't get enough of it. Kickoff wasn't for another five and a half hours and our bag of Tostitos Scoops was almost bare. Thankfully the corner store is a hop, skip, and jump away and they carry bags of the Tostitos Scoops. I suggest stocking up on as many bags of tortilla chips you can get your hands on because we didn't even make a dent in the 4 cups that the recipe makes. Or better yet, make Laurie's Baked Lime Tortilla Chips. You can't go wrong!

Check out her website for the recipe and to see photos that really do this salsa justice! Lip smacking good!  Super Bowl is right around the corner and I can guarantee you that this salsa will be on our table then and again and again and again. Thank you Laurie!

Pittsburgh's going to the Super Bowl! Here we go Steelers! Here we go!

2 comments:

Laurie {Simply Scratch} said...

WOW Rochelle! You are so kind!! I am thrilled that you enjoyed the recipe and I appreciate your comments more than you know! You have a great blog, keep going and stay your postive self; A great attitude gets you everywhere, remember that! Xo

Laurie

Chelle B said...

Laurie - Thank you do much for the compliment! I literally crave this salsa and look forward to days I get to make it. Hands down the best salsa I've ever made and so easy too! Thank you once again for sharing the recipe with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...