January 06, 2011

Scalloped Potatoes with Cheese

I had yet again another Pretend Chef moment tonight when preparing Mr. Sideline Chef's request for scalloped potatoes. I had the oven preheating while the milk was boiling. The potatoes and cheese were layered in the baking dish and ready for the milk to be poured over. After pouring the milk over the potatoes and sliding the baking dish into the oven I set the timer on the microwave for 20 minutes.

Ding. Ding. Ding. The timer went off and I raced over to the oven to pull them out to check to see if the potatoes were fork tender yet. Nope. So back into the oven for another 20 minutes. The recipe had stated 40 minutes for the bake time but since I cut the recipe in half I figured 20 minutes would be enough.

Ding. Ding. Ding. The timer went off again and I raced over to the oven to pull them out once again hoping that was the magic number. Nope. What the hell? My potatoes were turning black and the fork still didn't pierce through easily. "I don't think this is going to turn out," I said to Mr. Sideline Chef in desperation. "Should I just pitch this since it's not working out?" He wanted me to try to salvage it.

My head smacking moment came when I realized that the oven had been turned off at the same time I turned the burner off from my milk being boiled. "This is why I call myself the Pretend Chef because I only pretend I know what the hell I'm doing." It's a good thing Mr. Sideline Chef had patience a big lunch to hold him over. It's also a good thing that once the oven was preheated the scalloped potatoes only took 20 minutes to cook since I ended up having to scrape off the top layer of potatoes to remove the blackened ones.

I am not and have never been a scalloped potato fan. I want to be really. I like all of the ingredients in the dish but together they don't play nice with my taste buds. They came out of the oven beautifully. I had high hopes that this would be the time I'd love scalloped potatoes. Nope. Mr. Sideline Chef on the other hand L-O-V-E-D them even though he wanted to see a full fat version on his plate next time and not a light recipe. Understandable. Comfort food generally isn't low fat or low calorie.

Nonetheless this dish is one that will stay at the top of my remakes for Mr. Sideline Chef until I come across that "engagement" scalloped potato recipe.

 Scalloped Potatoes with Cheese
Makes 4 servings (Serving size = 1 cup)

Stars of the Show:
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped
  • cooking spray
  • 3 peeled red potatoes, sliced thin
  • 1 tbsp melted butter
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup milk
And Action:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat an 8x8-inch baking dish with the cooking spray. Layer half the potatoes into the bottom of the dish. Add the garlic around the potatoes. Drizzle half the butter and sprinkle with half the salt and pepper. Top with half the cheese. Repeat with the remaining potatoes, butter, salt, and pepper. Boil milk over low and then pour over the mix. Bake for 20 minutes or until tender.

4 comments:

Bo said...

Atleast you were able to salvage it...I make mistakes like that all the time.

Chelle B said...

Bo - Thanks for riding the boat with me! Haha!

Savoring Italy said...

It's hard to believe how these potatoes started because they look wonderful in this photo;)Sometimes it's fun cooking w/a partner:)

Chelle B said...

Lora - Thank you for the compliment. I was starting to sweat over this one. Luckily I was able to wipe my brow after figuring out what the hell I did wrong.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...