January 10, 2011

Smoked Salmon Cardamom Spread

It is absolutely amazing that this Smoked Salmon Cardamom Spread is a Cooking Light recipe! It tastes creamy but only has light sour cream in it and because the amount of sour cream added isn't an excessive amount the taste of the smoked salmon really is the star, which is what I would expect. Ground cardamom offers a unique twist on the standard smoked salmon spread and the flavor profile is a winner.

I served this for the first set of NFL playoff games and offered Triscuit crackers to go with it. I am looking forward to spreading this over a toasted bagel or toast points since I ate damn near the entire box of crackers and still had an abundance of the dip left. This makes a lot of servings. Great for a party or just a quick snack.

All of the ingredients are thrown into the food processor and this spread is ready for serving within 5 minutes. This is a definite must try! Easy, no cook, and can be made up to a day ahead of time. Valentine's Day is right around the corner and this would make for a great appetizer for a romantic dinner or even a fun Single Ladies party!

MyRecipes.com and Cooking Light, July 2006
Makes 20 Servings (Serving size = 2 tbsp)

Stars of the Show:
  • 1 lb hot-smoked (kippered) boneless salmon fillet - I used cold-smoked (lox) since that is what they had available at the store. Hot-smoked is great for savory dishes. I recommend using the hot-smoked if it is available where you shop. Better yet, smoke your own!
  • 3/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
  • 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
  • 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
  • Garnish: chopped fresh chives (optional)
And Action:

Place all ingredients into the food processor, excluding the chopped fresh chives for garnish, and process until smooth. Transfer into a serving bowl. Cover and chill. Garnish with the chopped fresh chives if desired.

Nutritional Information:

Calories: 39 (48% from fat)

Fat: 2.1g (sat 0.9g,mono 0.8g,poly 0.3g)

Protein: 4.4g

Carbohydrate: 0.5g

Fiber: 0.0g

Cholesterol: 9mg

Iron: 0.2mg

Sodium: 182mg

Calcium: 13mg


I'm linking this recipe to:

January 2011 Culinary Smackdown - Battle Salmon! - Head over to Brenda's Canadian Kitchen and get in on the kitchen action. There's already a handful of competitors and some very tasty looking salmon dishes.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice lighter football snack!

Chelle B said...

Anonymous - It tasted so delicious it felt like a guilty indulgence. Mr. Sideline Chef liked it as well.

Carolyn said...

Smoked salmon and cardamom! I never would have thought to put those two together, but now I am intrigued. I have to try this!

Chelle B said...

Carolyn - I can't find the right words to describe this. All I can say is that after I ate what I could out of the bowl with a cracker I used my finger to lick up. That good!

Anonymous said...

This really does look and sound delicious. I eat smoked salmon and cream cheese sandwiches a lot for breakfast - I just love the stuff! And it's seriously easy, isn't it!? Thank you so much for submitting this yummy recipe to the Culinary Smackdown challenge and good luck!!!

Kimberly Peterson said...

I love the combination of smoked salmon and light sour cream, a true classic!! Sooo delicious and yes, I find it hard to believe that it's a "light" recipe as well but hey - we can't complain right it tastes amazing and actually good for you!! Winner!!

Chelle B said...

Brenda - Best of luck picking a winner for the challenge. There are so many delicious sounding entries already!

Kimberly - So happy to hear from you again! Glad you had fun on your vacation!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

I'm your newest "Follower." Love your blog and your recipe looks delicious. I like that you've posted all the nutritional information! Stop by and visit when you have a moment, I love company and new Followers are always welcome! I enjoyed my visit today!

Mary

Ellen Zames said...

Wow this sounds amazing. I'm going to make this for brunch over the weekend. I'll post it on my blog and link back to you. Thanks for the great idea.

http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com

Kim Bee said...

This is a great recipe. My hubby would flip over this. Thanks for letting me know it was here. I`ve bookmarked it. Kim

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...