January 23, 2011

Lemon Blueberry Poppy Seed Bread

Nothing is more surprising than a knock at the door and a neighbor standing in the doorway with a cheerful good morning, cup of coffee, and a plate of baked goods. Mr. Sideline Chef and I are blessed to have the BEST neighbors considering the fact that we live in an apartment complex.

Because I am a stay at home mom I tend to keep an eye on my neighbor's places while they are gone or walk their dogs while at work. One lady is so sweet and thoughtful. Mr. Sideline Chef works out on the road quite frequently and she takes notice when I seem to be feeling lonely and will lend an ear and provide some great company. She also likes to send us home baked goods as well. Banana Nut Bread and Mr. Sideline Chef's favorite, Lemon Blueberry Poppy Seed Bread.

One morning she had dropped the bread off right before Mr. Sideline Chef was leaving to go to Iowa. I had a slice with my morning coffee and sent the rest of it with him to nibble on. Within an hour I received a call exclaiming, "Get that recipe. This is so good!" Being the incredible neighbor that she is a copy of the recipe was left on her fridge for me when I went to walk her dogs later that day.

The poppy seeds and lemon peel perk up the flavor of this moist bread loaf while the lemon drizzle provides a sweet and sour top. The recipe states to wait for the loaf to cool completely before drizzling but with little patience after the first 10 minutes of cooling I drizzled the lemon topping and was cutting the loaf into slices. The smell of the bread baking for close to an hour of pure torture. My stomach was growling.
Sure the middle caved in a little bit when I cut into the loaf due to my impatience but it was pure heaven. The tart lemon drizzle is the first thing to tickle the taste buds and then the sweetness from the blueberries tames it. Mr. Sideline Chef felt that my bread had more of a lemon flavor than he remembered but still thought it was terrific. Obviously the lemon wasn't too overpowering because he ate four slices of it and informed me that he'll polish off the rest of the loaf for breakfast. I better set my alarm an hour early to ensure I get a slice of this to go with my mug of Classic Cocoa.

Lemon Blueberry Poppy Seed Bread
Source is unknown since the recipe was passed onto me.
Makes one loaf (12 slices)

Stars of the Show:
  • 1 package Duncan Hines Bakery Style Blueberry with Crumb Topping Muffin Mix - Any blueberry muffin mix will work.
  • 2 tbsp poppy seeds
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 tbsp grated lemon peel
  • 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
And Action:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8x4-inch loaf pan.

Rinse blueberries with cold water and drain.
For the loaf, empty muffin mix into a medium bowl. Add poppy seeds and stir to combine breaking up any lumps. Add egg and water stirring until moistened, about 50 strokes. Fold in blueberries and lemon peel. Pour into the loaf pan. Sprinkle topping from packet over batter. Bake for 57 to 62 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Loosen loaf from pan. Lay foil over the top when removing from the pan to keep the topping intact. Invert onto a cooling rack. Turn right side up. Cool completely.
For the drizzle, combine confectioners sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Stir until smooth. Drizzle over the loaf.

I am also linking this recipe up with:
SweetasSugarCookies

Check out all of the other entries! There are a lot of wonderful looking sweet treats!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...