January 29, 2011

Yukon Gold Potatoes Sautéed in Clarified Butter

Clarified butter. Never heard of it. From clicking the Clarified Butter link on the original recipe I learned that milk solids are skimmed away leaving the clarified butter to have a higher smoke point than just regular butter. This once again is another reason I call myself the Pretend Chef. I learn something new every day and even after attempting to look in the saucepan of melted butter nothing looked solid. Hmmm.... maybe I just didn't know exactly what I was looking at. I just decided not to bother and continued making the recipe with the butter I had just melted. Saved myself one step as far as I was concerned.

Growing up my mama would make homestyle potatoes with breakfast many mornings. I loved her well seasoned potatoes with my eggs and bacon. Oh how I miss living under here roof and sitting around her table! Although I didn't make these potatoes for breakfast I have plans of reheating them with my eggs and making sort of a scramble.

Whether you know what or how to make clarified butter or just use regular butter these potatoes are amazing! Simple. Yes. But oh so flavorful! Crispy and creamy. The Yukon gold potatoes cook for 20 minutes in a skillet to get tender and browned before being seasoned with parsley, garlic, salt and pepper.

These would make a great side dish for breakfast or dinner. I prefer them for breakfast with a poached egg over the top so the runny yolk runs down and onto the potatoes! Yummy!

MyRecipes.com and Cooking Light, January 2007
Makes 8 Servings (Serving size = 1 cup)

Stars of the Show:
  • 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup clarified butter - I used Land O' Lakes Butter with Olive Oil and didn't skim any milk solids off the top. Remember... I had no clue what I was looking for.
  • 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley - I used dried parsley.
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
And Action:

Place the potatoes in a pot covered with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Drain and let stand for 2 minutes.

Heat the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the potatoes to the skillet, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are nice and browned and tender. Stir occasionally. Stir in the parsley, salt, pepper, and garlic.

Nutritional Information:
Calories: 197 (29% from fat)
Fat: 6.4g (sat 4g,mono 1.8g,poly 0.2g)
Protein: 4.1g
Carbohydrate: 30.2g
Fiber: 2.1g
Cholesterol: 16mg
Iron: 1.5mg
Sodium: 158mg
Calcium: 2mg

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the morning laugh! I would have just used "regular" butter too (shrug). And it's thanks to you that I posted that Cooking Light recipe. I know you use them a lot and you got me going back to that website. I could use some of your potatoes right now with some eggs and bacon. I bet they're delicious, clarified butter or not. :o)

Chelle B said...

Brenda - The recipe gave me a lot of leftovers so the next morning I reheated these in a skillet with saved bacon grease. They were heavenly! Then I topped it with two eggs. Holy deliciousness Batman! They were incredible! Thankfully I still have some leftover and have every plan of doing a repeat for breakfast! That's the fat kid in me talking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...